Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Unit 1 Lesson 3, Indications of Recovery

As we take these early steps towards recovery, you might feel frightened and anxious. Thinking about the events of the past that have hurt us so deeply is a difficult and scary thing. The Apostle Paul writes, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7. As we prepare to become vulnerable with other people in our lives, it makes sense to first be vulnerable with God. Share with Him your fears and anxiety. Know that our hope in Christ focuses upon God's promise of a life to come that is free from suffering and anxiety. While life on earth will never be completely free from pain, we can experience some of what is to come through God's healing grace. He is faithful.

Recovery from the effects of sexual abuse does not follow a precise path. While other survivors you know might find peace in areas where you are still having difficulty, bear in mind that this is YOUR journey and you have to process through it at your pace. As you advance in your recovery, be assured that God will equip you with the ability to handle whatever comes your way. Recovery is an ongoing process.

The following list describes a person who has worked through and recovered from sexual abuse. As you read through the list, think about where you are at. Be honest with yourself, but also be patient as you work toward the goals that are the most difficult for you.
  • I am willing to face the abuse and acknowledge the hurt and pain.
  • I understand that the abuse was a violation.
  • I have an increased awareness of my value and worth.
  • I can list significant others that I can trust.
  • I can share thoughts and feelings about the abuse with others if I choose to do so.
  • I recognize relationship tendencies that avoid honesty and intimacy.
  • I am overcoming feelings of shame and false guilt.
  • I recognize that I was a victim even though I may have experienced physical arousal during the abuse.
As you read through this statements, make note of the areas where you are already experiencing recovery. Are there any that you do not understand? Are there any that are particularly difficult for you?

You may be thinking that some of these things are impossible. As a person who was once in your shoes, let me assure that they are not. If you are willing to hang in there and keep forging ahead with this process, you will find more freedom and fulfillment than you could ever have imagined.

I want you to ponder these indications of recovery and apply them to yourself; therefore, I'm not going to relate any of them back to my own experience just yet. If you have any questions, feel free to comment and I will reply.

Good night for now. God bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. It is so very true, especially when we cannot rush healing! It is in God's timing!