Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Recovery

You may be asking yourself why I use the word "recovery" so often. I was pretty broken by the abuse in my childhood. I wasn't literally snapped in two like a bone break, but my heart was certainly shattered and every belief I held about myself and others was also shattered.

If you were hit by a car, you might have skin abrasions and broken bones. You may be hospitalized, in a cast or brace, require several x-rays or scans. You may have to go through extensive therapy to learn how to use those broken limbs again. Healing from sexual abuse is very much the same. The wounds need to be looked at, tended to and cared for. Over time and with proper attention, you will find that the wounds are diminishing and health is replacing the brokenness. It is a recovery process. It is absolutely not an easy process, but it is well worth putting the time, effort, and emotions into. You are worth it!

Isaiah 42:2-3 says: “I will go before you and make the rough places smooth. I will shatter the doors of bronze and cut through the iron bars. And I will give you treasures of darkness, and hidden wealth in secret places, in order that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel who calls you by your name.”

As you journey through your recovery, know that God is the one who will make the rough places smooth. Recovery involves opening up some areas that are dark and frightening. It involves revealing information that has likely been kept secret. God can help you find treasures in the darkness and wealth in those secret places. You need to know that you exist and have meaning and value. God calls YOU by NAME!

No comments: