Sunday, January 31, 2010

Precious, Based on the novel PUSH

I picked up the book Precious at Costco a few weeks ago.  The first couple of chapters detail some pretty gruesome abuse and failures of "the system".  I was nauseous as I read, but I refused to put the book down (as much as my stomach wanted me to).  This story is a collection of experiences in the lives of young women the author met while teaching at an alternative school.  The awful acts and miserable failures are truths - facts of life for girls and boys around the world.  Putting the book down would mean turning a deaf ear and a cold shoulder to those who have walked in similar shoes.

As I read on, I was brought to tears by those who reached out to help this young girl.  I can relate to so much of what she feels and thinks.  I have experienced pieces of her story.

Reject before being rejected.  Keep secrets.  Trust no one.  Suspect everyone.

My heartbeat quickened and I read faster as she found her inner strength and determination to rise above her situation and make a life for herself.  She knew they were wrong and she was not!  She began to trust.  As I read her story, I vividly remembered sitting in counselors' offices, having the occasional person speak a word of encouragement and assistance into my ear.  I knew exactly what she was feeling.

That's how it works when two or more survivors gather.  We know.  We can lift each other up and take steps forward into a better life.

This book is a perfect illustration of the ugliness of so many forms of child abuse and systemic failures.  It is also a beautiful portrait of the support that can be found among like-minded survivors, and the incredible capacity the human spirit has for surviving and thriving.  Precious is a gut-wrenching book that is loaded with memory triggers and may be not be a good read for you right now.  But I believe there's a little bit of Precious (the young woman) in every survivor of childhood sexual abuse.  Kudos to the author for writing so honestly about the realities of child abuse.  And kudos to you for being here.  For taking the steps needed to reclaim your life!  You are a survivor.  A precious survivor.

5 comments:

Lily said...

I have heard such good things about this movie and book. One of these days I will be at the place where I can read it.

Unknown said...

I have heard of the movie but I truly didn't know it was about sexual abuse. I am glad that I got to read this post. I am definitely going to order this from amazon soon. I know how hard it is for me to just read through Courage to Heal. It's seems as if I can read a page and a half and have to stop for a few days because of all the triggers and emotions that I feel. Thanks for sharing this! I hope you have a wonderful week!

Shattered said...

I have been so torn over reading the book or not. I think I'm going to get it and work through it s-l-o-w-l-y. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

That book screwed me up, but I couldn't put it down. Great post!

Unknown said...

I was able to watch the movie this week-end. It was amazing! Since I haven't read the book, I had to follow closely, but this movie can definitely bring awareness to a rise. I'll admit, I had to pause it and walk away a few times just to hold onto my emotions. What strength she had!